Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Moving With the Times, Moving With the 21st Century

I remember getting a quote in 1993 from the printer who I entrusted my first book to, the least amount that could be printed was a 1,000 copies, I had no choice but to accept the terrible offer.

When the books were printed I had to find a distributor, offer consignments to book stores and had no hope of reaching an international market. I also had to organize collections, ET AL.

Back then I thought that "Literary Agents" were Gods. How things have changed, now an online retailer publishes all my books that exists as paperbacks and eBooks, all available to the whole world due to the internet and its distribution platform. Yes, everything is "Print on Demand" for my paperback publications. And, with my customers shopping in the e-book store they can download the books in a minute from nearly anywhere in the world. My royalty cheque goes straight to the bank. Yep, we are in the 21st century.

On my last trip to Toronto I was surprised that so few bookstores were there. At one point I tried to get a business book but it was not in stock, it had to be ordered and I had to wait for a week for pick-up, which I did. But I could have done that myself, I did not bother too though, I was on holidays, and I did not think of it. But, the 21st century has put the spot light on the power shifts taking place in the online shopping paradigm.

Since I have started publishing and marketing my books online I basically run my own publishing company, I set my own prices, I am the designer, writer, proof reader, sales force, everything and I could do a better job than the finest book publisher out there and I have checked. I took a directory and visited over 10 publishers in North America and I was not impressed. Seriously, I would not trust them with my books, especially when I am doing it my self already.

Yep, I am online.

If someone's book is not good it will never get traction. Those type of books call for massive marketing and in most cases they don't succeed, because they are lacking something.

Like everything else you need to put out quality work, and spend some time in distributing your work for circulation. Once you get traction you can be your own boss, your own publishing company.

No comments:

Post a Comment